Preschool Teacher 1
1 Full Time Position
Ka Pa‘alana - O‘ahu
- Plan and implement the program designed curriculum for caregivers and keiki using standards set forth by the Hawai‘i Early Learning and Development Standards (HELDS), National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), and the National Center for Families Learning (NCFL);Plan and provide indoor and outdoor activities that foster learning; indoor centers include art, dramatic play, play dough, blocks, science/social studies, sensory, puzzles, fine-motor/writing, music, gross motor, math, library, and snack;
- Serve meals and refreshments to children;
- Assist in the assessment of participants, and conduct pre- and post-tests of keiki;
- Communicate effectively with the team in the planning and execution of lesson plans;
- Assist the site supervisor with reports, logs, and other operational tasks;
- Submit monthly lesson plans and weekly reports in a timely and acceptable manner;
- Complete daily logs for Parents And Children Together (PACT) time;
- Oversee daily preschool operations of designated site(s) in absence of PT2.
- Lead regularly scheduled site meetings (in absence of PT2).
- 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday or as otherwise determined by the supervisor; Position requires regular and predictable attendance;
- Some events on nights or weekends at various times depending on the event.
- Program sites at either shelter or designated area homeless encampments, various event sites, meeting and professional development sites;Office setting;
- Travel in program and/or personal vehicle to and from program sites;
- Travel to the neighbor islands and the U.S. may be required.
Mental, Physical and Communication Demands
- Consistent adherence to the practice of Partners in Development Foundation’s (PIDF) five core values that are used as a guiding force in the success of all of its programs;
- Must be keenly aware of and attentive to program participants;
- Must analyze and problem solve issues;
- Must be able to prioritize and focus on multiple tasks that require analysis and attention to detail;
- Must possess and exercise strong interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Must be able to cope with stress that may be induced by the situations of our clients.
- Must participate in strenuous activities which may include loading/unloading of vans and washing of the vans, mats and tarps; set up and break down of tents;
- Requires lifting and carrying up to 40 pounds on a regular basis;
- Must be able to sit and work on floor; kneel and bend.
- Must exhibit courteous and professional demeanor towards program participants, vendors and partners, staff and administration via verbal, written, physical, and electronic correspondence;
- Requires good oral and written communication skills;
- Must be able to handle and maintain highly confidential information.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
- Option 1:
a. Working on Child Development Associate (CDA)
credential in Preschool or Infant/Toddler, or
working on certificate (competence, completion,
or achievement) in early childhood education;
b. At least one (1) year experience working as
a teacher with young children ages birth
through five (5);
- Option 2:
c. At least two (2) years experience working as a
teacher with young children ages birth through
d. At least one (1) year experience working with
homeless/at-risk families of host culture;
- Option 3:
e. At least two (2) years experience working as a
TA2 or higher for Ka Pa‘alana or similar program;
f. At least two (2) years experience working with
homeless/at-risk families of host culture;
g. At least two (2) years experience observing
teaching and assessing;
h. Recommendations from supervisor and Ka
Pa‘alana executive staff;
- All options must also:
a. Have a valid driver’s license, a safe and
responsible driving record, current no-fault auto
insurance, with at least the minimum State of
Hawai‘i coverage requirements (operating
company vehicles only).
All positions require that the incumbent have no convictions of any crime against a child or other vulnerable person. We conduct periodic criminal background checks as a condition of employment.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this classification. It is not to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job. Management has the right to add to, revise, or delete information in this description. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.